Friday, December 10, 2010

Book Review!

Todays topic is books! I know. I am kind of a book nerd. The book that I am currently reading is "Nation" by Terry Pratchet. It is about an island in the Pacific that is devestated by a tsunami, and the last boy who survives finds a white girl that he has to survive with. I really really like this book, but I have only read half of it. The last time I tried to read it, I was in california on the beach. I was reading a book about a tsunami when a huge (well huge enough) wave came and destroyed my book. I had to throw it away in the trash at Laguna Beach. Ironic? yes. Nation dives into Pacific Islanders culture, and it is very interesting to read about thier different beliefs in God. The very first part of the book tells the story of the creation of Earth:
               
"  Imo set out one day to catch some fish, but there was no sea. There was nothing but Imo. So he spat in his hands and rubbed them together and made a ball of sea. After that he made some fish, but they were stupid and lazy. So he took the souls of some dolphins, who at least had learned to speak, and mixed them with clay and rubbed them into his hands and changed their shape and they became people. They were clever but they could not swim all day, so Imo dug some more clay and rubbed it in his hands and baked it in the fire of his fishing camp, and that was how the land was made.
   Soon the people filled all the lands and were hungry, so Imo took some of the night and rubbed it in his hands and made Locaha, the god of death.
    Still Imo was not satisfied, and he said: I have been like a child playing in the sand. This is a flawed world. I had no plan. Things are wrong. I will rub it in my hands and make a better one.
    But Locaha said: The mud is set. People will die
    Imo was angry and said: Who are you to question me?
    And Locaha said: I am a part of you, as are all things. So I say to you, give me the mortal world, and go and make your better one. I will rule here fairly. When a human dies, I will send them to be a dolphin until it is time for them to be born again. But when I find a creature who has striven, who has become more than the mud from which they were made, who has glorified this mean world by being a part of it, then I will open a door for them into your perfect world, and they will no longer be creations of time, for they will wear stars.
     Imo thought this was a good idea, because it was his own creation, and went off to make his new world in the sky. But before he did this, and so that Locaha would not have things all his own way, he breathed into his hands and made the other gods so that while the people should die, it would be in their right time.
    And this is why we are born in water, and do not kill dolphins, and look towards the stars  "

I love the way that Terry Pratchet wrote this. It is an excellent way to think of life. To always live in the right way of nature, be kind to animals, and strive to go to the perfect world. Today in history we had a discussion about human rights, and whether different cultures should try to adapt to each other, or just leave eachother alone. I don't understand why some people couldnt just adapt, and try to learn the other peoples culture, instead of just shoving thier own down others throats. That was a random little thought there, but, in the book, the white girl and the Nation boy both adapt to the others culture. I wish the real world could adapt this thinking.

MAN I got off topic. Basically? read this book. Its great:)

What made my day: uhhmmm.....
why: uughghhghmmm... yeah no

No comments:

Post a Comment